Monday, March 21, 2011

The Count Down to 3-0


About a month ago I turned 29. I had such a great birthday. Nothing really extravagant, just low key with my boys....


and great friends and I ended it with chocolate cake from Portillos....it doesn't get better than that, right??:) At least Griffin doesn't think so...


Ry went to a TON of effort to make me a beautiful dinner and it was SO delicious. It was some sort of stuffed shells on our new family birthday plate. We had one of these when I was a kid that said, "you are special today" and you got to eat dinner on it when it was your day. My mom gave each family (mine, Andy and Julie's and Ali's) a "birthday" plate so now we all have the same one, and Ry and I got to put ours into use right away! Isn't it cute?? And don't you love the decorative sauce drizzle my sweet chef put on the plate...what a guy:)!


I've been thinking about 29 though the last month. Time is flying by entirely too fast. I have never been a BIG birthday numbers sort of person...sure I mean 16 and 21 were fun but I've never been too worried about what birthday it is. Maybe it's because I've always been younger...haha, and now I am staring at 30 and wondering where the time has went.

I could close my eyes and it could be exactly last year at this time. To think that an entire year has flown by already is outrageous to me. I know I have a 8.5 month old baby but it is truly hard to believe. It's a little scary to me how quickly life is passing by with my kiddos....is that what is making it go so quickly? Or is that just the nature of life? How do I appreciate each little step...or bottle up the adorableness of my kids right now? I find it hard not to look back sometimes and focus on what was...Sawyer not really being a new born any more or Griffin being so ready to just be a BIG kid, not my little toddler. And looking forward seems even more interesting...I want at least one more baby (God willing of coarse) but then what? I haven't thought a lot about life after I am done having babies. I have always pictured myself with babies and pregnant, but I know that just like every stage that part of my life will come to a close too (how can it already be so close to over??)...I am heading into uncharted waters and I haven't done a lot of preparation, and there's nothing I can do to stop it...I know I just need to embrace it. I guess it feels a little foreign to me though.

I was talking with a good friend today (i love you Jenni) and she just had her 3rd, and most likely final baby. We were discussing how sentimental it is with these babes and she was reminding me about how boring life would be if God hadn't designed things in seasons and it's true. Seasons of life were meant to come and go and it's part of our journey here on earth. I am most definitely not a teenager anymore and not a college student. I have already worked my first career as a teacher, been married for almost 6 years, embarked on my most important job and ministry, motherhood, twice and am now looking down the road of my last year in the 20s. 30 sounds so old, yet so right where I am at. Each moment and season has brought me to this currant one, where I sit in bed holding a sleeping sweetheart in my lap and I am thrilled to be experiencing this part of God's plan for my life. I can't believe that I have the husband and two sweet peanuts that I do. I know I need to most importantly just be thankful for THIS day and not worry about what was...or is to come. And renew my trust everyday as I walk into new seasons, but I do wish he could slow it down just a little...can you BIG guy??:)

Here's to the last year my age starts with a 2!

3 comments:

Jennifer Zielke said...

and I love YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Wish I could have been there to make you chocolate chip pancakes...and eat them with you too. So glad you had a happy day!

Stacy Peterson said...

Happy 2-9! You were just as fun and brilliant at 1-3, 1-6, 2-1, 2-3,etc.... looking forward to celebrating many more years of Abigail! (But, I agree, the 3-0 approaching is weird isn't it! My hubbies already on his way to 3-1!!)