Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Halloweeny Happenings....

Part #1: The Prep Work
To prepare for Halloween this year we partook in the age old tradition of carving a pumpkin last weekend. Of coarse I had planned this out for weeks, found a wonderfully plump and perfectly round pumpkin, and visions of candy corn and pumpkin seeds danced in my head as I envisioned us as a cute little family carving this prized beauty into an award winning toothy grin. We would put a little candle in his hollow tummy and his happy little face would illuminate the rest of our night......
Here my friends, is a snapshot by snapshot dipiction of what actually happend:

Griffin poses with Eccleston pumpkin 2008....here comes some good old fashion family fun!




Ryan scoopes out pumpkin, Griffin takes one look in and is not as interested as he was in this "pre" shot.



This spoon is much more exciting....



You know what else is exciting? Spooning pumpkin guts onto the floor!




Here Ryan is explaining to me that we should draw on a detailed picture of the face before we carve it....and where I simultaneously decide that I am totally just going to eyeball it.

So eyeballing it was a mistake of gargantuous proportions, the nose is now all we have room for and it's crooked.....

Ryan, clearly extremely irritated, is pondering what we can do to recoup this and reiterating that we should have drawn out the face before making any cuts. I am agreeing in my head, trying not to laugh, and not admitting he was very right. All while Griffin is scooping more seeds onto the floor and then falls off the chair he was on......all parties are somewhat miserable.

...but we aren't quitters and we forge on to create some kind of Halloween memory, if only through pictures.

If you would just cooperate for one picture.....

Ahhh....there we go, good ole fashion family fun, just the way it was supposed to be, crooked nose and all.

I guess this is what I get for watching a few too many Martha Stewart Halloween specials. I start hearing things in my head like, oh I could sprinkle that ghoulish gourd in glitter for a fun Halloween treat....ridiculous, Martha it never turns out your way for me....I need an intervention! What I would like to call this night is a typical "Eccleston Family Special" where I make Ryan get on board for something ridiculous and he goes along with it because he loves me and is a great husband. Then things go classically amiss , there's a small disagreement, we patch things up and smile for a picture at the end. Hey,it's not perfect, but it's ours.....welcome to our family....

I was pretty sure I could manipulate these pics to make it look like a very charming experience, but I thought you would probably enjoy and believe the truth more:)!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

THAT is the biggest pumpkin nose ever!!! i am laughing so loud right now...and can't stop...i just keep playing it over in my head...you cutting the nose and then doing your low gargle air laugh when you realize what you've done and ryan going "Abigail!"

i love it.

andrea said...

Ha! This is flipp'n hillarious! I love that little huge nosed pumpkin, little Griffin crawling around on the table in his onsie, and the picture of Ryan staring at the pumpkin after you carved the nose. :)

This will be a carving experience you Eccleston's won't forget!

Love you guys!!

Mollie said...

That Griff is just too precious for words. I miss him already! I love this blog and I love you guys!
Love,
Mollie

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA...oh Abs...that was SO cute, SO well written and SO funny! I laughed out loud and I LOVED the pics! Tooooo precious!