Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Mommyhood




This morning it was raining and we had the window open just a little bit. I had just gotten back from rearranging the pillows in our bed from Ryan & Abbi sleeping to Griffin & mommy because I heard him start to wake up. I quickly grabbed him from his crib and we both laid down and fell right back into bliss. I was listening to the rain and soaking in the sweet snuggle time with my little man (which I calculated would last no longer than about 15-20minutes at the most) and thinking, this is what I love most about being a mom.....when the phone rang. AH, are you serious...it's 7a.m.! Of coarse you know who snapped right to...and the day had begun!
I stumbled downstairs and grabbed the morning "must haves"! A bottle, bowl of oatmeal, and coffee and headed back up. As soon as I walked back through the door, I see a little smile, little teeth, a little piece of heaven, and even though I am so tired and the coffee is not working fast enough, I think that getting the morning "must haves" and eating oatmeal with Griff must be the best.....

And we go through the rest of the day with all the ups......
the curly fly away hair
the high pitched sounds he makes as he struts along patting things
the clicking sound he just figured out how to make
the way he keeps sticking out his tongue
picking him up after a fall and wiping away the tears
holding hands
hugs
snuggles
story time (not that he pays attention, another one of those things for me)!
the toothy grins
getting him when he wakes up
showing him something for the first time
singing to him

.....and the downs.....

the stinky diaper changes that he hates

the dog dish he loves to pour out all over himself and the floor
the food that's crusted all over him after he eats

BUT, each moment of frustration is trumped by 3 moments of BLISSFUL baby!

I am still in awe that God let me borrow this little one for a bit. How lucky am I to have been able to experience all that I have with him. From feeling kicks in my belly from the inside to feeling them on the outside now....and he's got a hard kick either way, let me tell you!

It's my first mother's day with Griff....and I know it's a Hallmark holiday, but it's nice to celebrate moms regardless of who made up the holiday. Ryan & I both adore ours and realize so much now that we are rowing in the parents boat too about what it takes to be a good one. I just feel blessed to be a part of it, even the diapers, because the smelly parts of life make the snuggles even sweeter.
Happy Mother's Day all you moms!

...and give the mom in your life a smooch, because like my dad told me, nobody loves you like your mom....and you know what, I think it's true!




2 comments:

Eric Olsen said...

that was an amazing post, abs.

andrea said...

Happy belated mother's day sweet pea! you are a beautiful mother...griff is sooo lucky!

i love you!