Monday, April 18, 2011

The Everyday

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing
is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing."

Phyllis Diller

I am not going to lie to you.
I am not the best house keeper. Ask me the last time I cleaned my tub. I won't tell you. It's not because I am embarrassed, (and I am) but it's more because I just don't know. I feel like just the "pick up" of daily life with little men is more than enough to get to most days.

My laundry room always looks like this....


My sink is always like this because there are more dishes than can fit in the dishwasher...

And here is what the embroiderd towels that we got as a wedding gift look like...


I kid you not, I was going to the bathroom, looked over at my decorative towels and saw the perfect prints of one small blond 3 year old. He obviously engaged in a little finger painting without anyone knowing. I am not going to point any fingers but Ryan was home with him on Saturday morning while I was gone...just saying(kidding, kidding). In case you didn't know I have kids, just look at my towels.

The truth is, that at times this all seems a titch overwhelming.

BUT the truth also is that all these things mean that I have

this face...

and this face...


to take care of and snuggle and love. At church this weekend they were talking about finding the JOY in everyday life...breaking the monotony of the everyday and just engaging in the moment. Ry and I were both commenting afterwards that what is tough about life sometimes is just finding a break in that everyday stuff to feel really happy. So that is my new goal. No focusing on the piles of laundry and dishes. No stressing about unorganized piles. God is calling me to find joy in the little moments of my life and that means sitting down for sessions of patty cake and songs of "the wheels on the bus" and games of tag your it. And cherish the laundry because that means there are little bodies that need me to be their mom.

No comments: