Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Holly Jolly Days


"And it is after all, a season for babies. It makes sense to me in a new way that God chose to wrap his divinity in baby bones and baby skin. I always thought maybe it was to demonstrate vulnerability, or to identify fully with each phase of humanity, but now I think it was something else. I think it was because babies make us believe in the possibility and power of the future.

It's genius that the Christ, the Messiah, came as a baby, not because of his helplessness, but because of the possibility every baby holds. We have a regular baby, a non-Christ, non-Messiah baby, and when I look at his sleeping face, all the world seems new with possibility."

-Shauna Niequest
Cold Tangerines

We had a wonderful Christmas. It was really full of all the Christmas staples...food and family and presents and travel and fun. It was also full of time spent thinking about what we were really celebrating. I couldn't help but consider it every time I looked into the boys sweet faces, especially this year, having a baby in my arms again. I don't think I have mastered (nor will I, I am afraid) the ability to wrap my mind around what this past month is fully about, but I have been considering the Christmas story in a new and tangible way since I became a mom. When I read this part of Cold Tangerines, I totally identified with the author (who as a side note is quickly becoming one of my absolute favorites) as she considered the way Christmas struck her the first Christmas she was a mother. I remember how differently I thought about the whole story that Christmas after I had Griffin and each year since, it only amazes more.

I love getting to share holidays and family nights and special times with my kids. The wonder of Santa, presents and traditions is so magical. Even more though, I love to be able to share with them who Jesus is and what he means in my life, and in theirs. I am amazed that those two things are major components of my job description. So as we start making memories and celebrating this time of year as a family I am not only thankful for all the tinsel and hot chocolate and lights but mostly for 2 little faces that always seem to bring me back to knees in awe.

Here's some highlights from our 2010 festivities:

We celebrated Grandpa Wayne's birthday



and got in a visit with an adorable Santa who promised Griffin a fire truck, and boy did he deliver:)! This was part of our December family night (and attempt #2 at seeing the BIG guy...success) and it was such a great night for the 4 of us, complete with a trip to Noodles!


We celebrated early with the Richard family, and it was a really nice low key way to start off the holiday! Next year the boys will have a cousin to celebrate with...yeah!



The boys both got cars to "buzz" around in and Griffin has been loving the chance to cruise while it is too cold to get outside.

Then we made our trek to Nebraska! I of coarse didn't get my camera out enough as I have no pictures from some of the celebrations but we had a great time at each stop! We spent Christmas Eve day with my mom & dads side and Christmas Day with Ryan's parents, grandparents and siblings. We are so blessed to have so much family to welcome us in and celebrate with us.





We really did have some holly jolly days all the way through New Year's and now I am sitting in bed dreading the fact that Ryan has to go back to work with no vacation days in sight but feeling full of wonderful holiday memories and excited at the opportunity that this new year holds! 2010, we thank God for all you brought us (espcially this little face) and 2011, here we go......!!

No comments: