Friday, December 18, 2009

While it's still my turn....



Dearest G man:

Just thinking about how big you are tonight and how quickly time has gone since you arrived. Do you know how thankful I am that for this brief moment on earth, and even briefer time you will spend under my roof, that it is my house...life...and heart God choose for you. I knew that after I spent 26 hours trying to introduce you to the world, weighing as much as a whale who just won a pie eating contest, pumped full of drugs, with staples in my belly, and freshly relived of a catheter which I was having an allergic reaction to and dad pushed me down to meet you in my wheelchair and all I could feel holding you was complete bliss...that I was made for that moment and for you, that I was entering a new realm of living.

I do however realize that my time with you in this intimate and sweet setting is ticking away faster than I would like or could possibly imagine so I want you to know that....

while it's still my turn

i want to snuggle you as much as possible
feel your sweet head nestled right in the crook of my arm
embrace you and your adorable smile multiple times everyday
hold your hand when you reach for mine
and when you are kicking me in the back while you sleep in our bed, treasure that you are there

while it's still my turn

i want to create a family with you
where we have happy memories
and hard times we make it through because we love God and each other
where we celebrate when JOY comes our way
and pray each other through suffering
and create traditions that are silly but we wouldn't be the same with out them

while it's still my turn

i have so much to teach you
i want you to love the Lord and chase after him with all your heart and soul even though it's really hard sometimes
i want you to love and cherish your weird and wacky family
i want you to love others because that's what God calls us to do and because you feel he's calling you to that
i want you to love art, and things that aren't mainstream, and things that are beautiful and pure and worth being passionate about

while it's still my turn

i want to learn all that God has for me from you
(know that it's part of his plan for my heart to be transformed by you)
i NEED to be more patient
i NEED to always put you first even when I am sick and tired and frustrated
i NEED to love you with reckless abandon
i NEED this because I get that much closer to understanding God's great love for his children by loving you

while it's still my turn

i want to savor these moments
cherish the way you say things
adore the way you have serious bed head in the morning
remember how it feels to be the one you reach for first
carry with me the feeling i get every time you say "love you"
and never forget your sticky, slobbery kisses

while it's still my turn

i want to be constantly thankful
for you
your dad, who i adore
for the family that we have become
for the hardest times that have been and certainly will come because we will learn and grow
that i get to be your mom, you make my life, getting to do childhood again through you seems sweeter the second time around...through you everything is new and magical again

Thank you God it is still my turn
Soon enough there will be kindergarten, and friends
homework and sports
high school and college
work, a wife, and a family of your own
and i will love you the same through all of that

But I am sure loving my turn and i promise you that i am trying (and praying) to make the most of it.

I love you Griffin Andrew, my sweet sweet (and crazily wild) boy!
The woman who is blessed beyond belief to be your mom

4 comments:

the petermanns said...

that is beautiful and heart felt, abigail elaine. you made me tear up, a bit.

the ferwerda family said...

So precious, Abs...you should frame this and put it in his room.

Unknown said...

so perfect. you and your little family are just perfect. griff and ryan are so lucky to have you! i love you guys so much!

Abby Tigulis said...

Thanks Abbi... I needed to read that!! Its a WONDERFUL reminder to all parents, not just moms, to slow down and SAVOR the times (the good ones and even the frustrating ones)that they have with their children!! They grow up so fast! Soon our boys will be men but they will always know how much their "mommas" love them!! Love you guys!!