Thursday, October 22, 2009

working the night shift

Over the years Ryan & I have been together I have gotten many interesting wake up calls in the middle of the night, and I can assure you I am not referring to breakfast in bed.  There was the time when we were first married and still sleeping on a mattress on the floor when I awoke to Ryan screaming, "don't let Maci on the bed, she's covered in rabbit poop" as she simultaneously jumped onto the bed (don't ask, I still have no idea how it happened) or when we brought Griffin home from the hospital and I woke up to Ry tucking Maci into Griffin's bassinet instead of Griffin.  That one still throws me into a fit of laughter, we were SO tired!  My latest wake up call happened at about 2am.  I was being stirred out of sleep by a strange hacking noise.  I no more than opened my eyes when I heard a gag and then my back was all wet.  I immediately realized Griffin was in bed with us and he had just leaned over and puked directly on my back.  When I started screaming for help, Ry rolled over and said, "sweetie, you're dreaming....go back to bed!"  Then he heard the second round coming up and jumped out of bed to our rescue!  Thankfully folks, we have a guest room.  So we got all the puke sheets off our bed, got G in the bath, and got tucked right into a new bed.  He seemed to be fine after that!  Ryan and I sat up for a while recalling sick stories from our childhood...we were appreciating now all the nights up with us our parents spent.  Ahhh, the joys of being a parent.  We realized laying there in the guest room that this is only the first chapter of our up in the night with the kids, pets, ect.  It just made us laugh.  Neither of us do very well in the middle of the night, but with the common goal of getting back in bed and to sleep as soon as possible, we have figured out how to work well together!  

No comments: