Wednesday, April 16, 2008

It's a BOY (officially now)






So I reached yet another milestone yesterday. I know, when you have a babe you have a new one practically everyday, but this one was more about me. Judging by the title of this post you are probably wondering if I was aware that I have been raising a son for the full 10 1/2 months he has been alive and the answer is YES, I am aware.....although Ryan did remind me daily for a while not to dress Griffin up in the little pink number I bought for a friend's baby while he was gone at work. (not that I ever really thought about it.....OK, maybe for a second:)!) All this rooting back to the day when we found out BOY or GIRL? Honestly I was SURE it was a girl. Everyone was telling me that it was because of how I was "carrying" it (seriously HOW can you even tell the difference...but hey I was taking whatever signs that pointed in girl direction) and also, I had a classroom full of boys giving me the biggest run for my money EVER....so adding another boy to the mix of my life in that moment was just not even an option to me. Ryan on the other hand was seeing visions of football games dancing in his head and when the lady announced boy.....that's just what he did, a victory dance. I cried just a little.....the truth is......I was sort of dreaming pink nursery with tiny polka dot ruffles.......but I knew that either way would be great for us.....and suddenly BOY just seemed to feel feel right.
Griffin is now tipping the scale scarily close to 1 year. It's honestly been the fastest of my life. Now when I shop for new clothes it's not in the "baby" section. There are not as many onsies, snap up outfits, or pastel blue and green polka dot shirts saying mommy and me. He is moving up to the "little man" section.....BLUE, RED, and GREEN with trucks and tools......so I already have to say goodbye to my baby and HELLO to all BOY, which by the way is what the ladies in the nursery at bible study say about him. Yesterday when I picked him up they told me how good he was and then all about how he loved to play with the trucks and BOY toys.....Man, he's just ALL BOY they said! On the way home I had to stop at Walmart for a few things and as I walked by the toy section I sucked it up ....gave one last loving look at the sweet soft baby toys and headed for the trucks. Of coarse I tried to find the cutest one....apparently there isn't such a thing! He also got another sign of inevitable manhood...a toy remote(and it speaks French, Spanish, & English)! He loves his Dad's so I thought they could sit on the couch together and practice this crucial manly duty.....love of remote, without worrying about the drool on the real one!

We got home, put the truck on the ground and BAM.....he is instantly a big boy.....pushing around the truck like it was just the best thing that ever happened....giggling and the whole bit. My mom said that when Andy was born we didn't have a lot of boy toys yet, but he would take any kind of girl toy of mine and turn it into a truck, rolling it around the house, like he was born for it! Amazing.

I do have to say, I stood in that isle, truck in hand and thought about all that is to come.....dirt, and bugs, and games, football, and that first plastic bat hitting the T-ball, and yes (it's killing me to say it) the first time he can golf with dad.....and realized I can't wait. I am SO up for this little boy and all the boy things he will bring to my life. I am ready to sport the pin that has his picture on it and show up for all the games.....OK, and by ready I mean, when the time comes.....I am not rushing into anything.....I am trying to make this phase last as long as possible. I can't imagine this little ball of love on my lap right now being anything other than Griffin Andrew....who loves trucks! Now I love them too!

I still will lovingly look at the Pottery Barn kids catalog and dream in PINK nursery.....let's face it every time I walk into our spare room I picture pink walls, but I still have another chance for a girl (I hope).....and I guess if I do end up with all boys, I really will have to learn to golf. For now though, this boy and I are so happy together....playing with trucks!

4 comments:

Jonny P. said...

Don't worry- boys run in our family too, so I will probably learn how to golf with you. OR our husbands can just do that with the kids while we just sit in the cart :) However- you + me in golf carts- probably not the best idea... but that is for another blog, another time, right? (..but remember the french man that tried to help us... ahh, ha ha, I love it!)Moving on..

But yes, isn't it funny how we think we know what is best for us? Sometimes God agrees with us and sometimes he has bigger and better plans. Or he just says something along the lines of "umm no- this is actually what is best for you even though it makes no sense right now." We fight it and go through depression and all sorts of trauma, but alas- there is a rainbow. In the moment the overall plan is hard to see. BUT thank the Lord- he always reveals his greater plan at one point or another! As you have stated- surprises are part of a bigger plan and everything works out in way that we could not imagine otherwise :)

I can say all this, but I know when it actually happens it is much harder to live until we get to the point of revelation AKA.. OH this DOES make sense... I guess God did know what he was doing!

P.S. this is why I LOVE blogs!!!

Stacy Peterson said...

jonny p. was really me.... stacy p.

sorry bout that.

andrea said...

I know Ryan is just loving this post...any father would be! I am in the same boat as you girls, only boys in Andy's family. He loves to remind me of this when I am suggesting little girls names or picking out girlie bedding from the pottery barn kids catalogue (yeah, i know i'm not even pregnant:)he says, "why does it even matter...we aren't having any girls," with a little smirk on his face ;)
One of my favorite sayings is "God don't do random"...and it's so true! Stace you are right, we spend so much time stressing over what we think might be best for us...when God is the only one who knows best. It's always exciting to me to see God's plan play out from beginning to end.
Ab, thanks for sharing this all with us....it makes it seem as if you aren't so far away. Loved the pics of Griff playing with his new truck...he is having a blast!

Kimberly said...

Abbi, such a way with words. i wish i was there to see him for myself...hopes of a trip to CO or for us to Chicago would be awesome. love you guys so much and think of you often.